Putting it All Together
From Building Network Automation Solutions
At a Glance
- High-intensity interactive online course;
- Jump-start your network automation career;
- Hands-on experience working on a solution to your own problem;
- 9 module course spread across ~3 months;
- Live discussion and guest speaker sessions;
- Design and coding assignments and group work;
- Final course completion certificate.
So far we’ve created data models using text files or relational databases, and Ansible playbooks that work, but produce hard-to-read garbage. It’s time for some eye candy.
We’ll discuss adding a wrapper around Ansible playbooks, using Ansible Tower, and adding a user-friendly GUI or CLI in front of your data sources.
The guest speakers in this module include:
Most networks operators don't have the luxury of deploying in green field scenarios. In his presentation, Nick Hilliard will examine how to take a practical, hands-on approach to network automation for live networks, starting at business analysis, product abstraction and data modeling, and ending up with practical automation of live configurations.
In autumn 2017 Thomas Wacker (UBS AG) described how UBS embraced automation for the currently ongoing data center network rebuild. He started with prerequisites and key objectives, described the architecture, showcased the toolchain in use today, and explained the phases of build, test, documentation and ongoing operations.
In the conclusion, he went through the benefits of UBS approach, the next immediate goals, and how automation will keep changing the networking industry.
In spring 2017 Ryan Heffernan and Mat Wood (both from Facebook) discussed lessons learned from automating an enterprise network environment within a web-scale software company.
The materials in this module (self-paced guidance) contain numerous case study describing production use of network automation. You'll also learn how to extend Ansible, and integrate Ansible playbooks with transactional databases and front-end systems.
Additional recommended materials
- FlipIT Cloud podcast describes a production-grade large-scale automation solution orchestrating everything from firewall rules to Windows AD and VoIP call plans;
- You might want to get familiar with NETCONF and YANG
- Transactional Thoughts on a Stormy Night is another potentially interesting Software Gone Wild episode.